Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Short but sweet!

Our fostering journey with Keanu has been quite the eye opening experience. In the best way possible.



I never imagined that within a matter of days I would grow so attached to a dog. He has captured my heart and changed my perspective on some things as well.

For being only 4 months old, he is so obedient and sweet. He aims to please and catches on quicker than any other dog I've been around. (Sorry Gordie) I honestly haven't found one negative side to him. This would also explain how we were able to get him adopted so quickly as well.

Yes, that's right...I'm happy to announce that within a week or so he will be going to his forever home!! I'm even happier to announce that I know the people who are taking him so I can rest assure he will have the greatest life. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't strongly considered discussing with Joe if we could adopt him. BUT... I held back. Shockingly. I'm pretty sure most people out there were fairly certain the little guy would become a permanent addition to our household. Surprise... it didn't happen :)

I'm so excited for him to get to his new home, however, I'm also not looking forward to him leaving. Gordie has grown quite attached to the little guy and vice versa. They follow each other around, snuggle, and just constantly want to be near each other. Gordie may be a bit lonely for a few days. Although, I'm sure he will appreciate not having to compete for bed space at night.



This whole fostering experience, although short and sweet, has opened up my eyes to just how important fostering dogs can be. It is such a rewarding experience to be able to help show a dog some love, teach them things, and just be able to provide some stability in a life that may not have been the greatest previously. Maybe even help a dog restore their faith in humans. I can't even explain the gratification I feel when I get home and there is the foster puppy wagging his tail so hard with excitement to see me that he may fall over.

I'm definitely looking forward to going through this experience again. I will say that the only thing I'll change for next time...have a larger dog be the foster. Gordie is still a little too clumsy to figure out how to maneuver around a ten pound dog. Haha. Poor Keanu has been stepped on, sat on, and trampled on thanks to Gordie not knowing how to use his feet.

Stay tuned for more exciting updates on this topic in the hear future :) I have a few things in the works!

No comments:

Post a Comment