Joe and I have talked about volunteering for an organization called Secondhand Hounds for quite a long time. We just always seem to forget to fill the paperwork out. Last week, however, we changed that. We finally submitted our volunteer paperwork and to our surprise a few days later they were in search of volunteers. I quickly jumped on the opportunity and volunteered our time...during the Super Bowl. This was sure to either be a hit with Joe or I'd be quickly in the dog house, literally. I should have known he'd have been all for it :)
Side note, this made me adore Joe even more. Being the football fanatic that he is, skipping the SUPER BOWL to help out with some animals melted my heart.
Not only did Joe melt my heart but so did a dog named Shiloh. This was the dog Joe was "assigned" to help in the intake process and get ready to send him to his foster home in MN. Shiloh came from a shelter in Oklahoma that has nearly a 100% kill rate. So thankfully his wonderful foster family found him on a website and had him sent to MN to help him find a home. A home, that I'll add, I would love to be ours. I'm working on Joe. Shiloh is the sweetest little guy, he's roughly a year old, in great health outside of needing a little extra food to help him put on some weight, and...he looks a lot like and has a lot of the personality traits that Timber used to have. I think that was the kicker and why I fell in love with Shiloh. If it's not our home he ends up at some day, I hope he finds his forever home and a family to snuggle him up and show him the love he needs.
I will definitely be volunteering at SH as often as my schedule allows. Although I left in tears, partially because I wanted to take Shiloh home and partially because the future of these other dogs is so unknown, I do know that my volunteering is helpful. If I can make a dog smile for even a minute while they are transitioning into foster care, I will be happy.

No comments:
Post a Comment