The World of Dating...
It is both fascinating and annoying at the same time.
I swear every time I enter the dating world it has changed from the time before. Two years ago I had first tried online dating and can honestly say it was a great experience. I went on a handful of dates, none that were awful, nice guys just not for me. Then I met Joe online and the rest was history... through online dating I met a great guy who became an important piece of my life and a great friend. So naturally when I recently decided it was time for me to jump back in the dating pool my first stop was to fill out the old online dating profile.
I always wonder what to write. How does a person 'sell' themselves against the hundreds or thousands of other online dating competitors? And lord knows I have to 'win' competitions... Instead of writing a novel about myself, I've always thought stating a few quirky and random facts about myself was an easier option. It's a little more playful and less boring. Because lets be honest, do you really want my whole life story in one sitting? No. I put just enough info in my profile to where you may have a glimpse at what my personality may be like but not enough to where you'll actually need to ask questions if you're interested. This can be good and bad.
It also brings up my biggest pet peeve. Men...when trying to get a woman's attention please DO NOT use these lines in your initial message:
- Hi there!
- Hi, how are you?
- Hi, how's it going?
- Hey beautiful!
- Hi. We seem to share a lot of the same interests.
Seriously. This shows you most likely did NOT read what was written in the profile. Put a little effort into it or be prepared for no response. Ninety percent of the messages I get are variations of those messages. And 100% of those do not get a response. If you wear Affliction or Tapout shirts in your online pictures, no response. If you have a bathroom selfie with no shirt, no response. If you have crooked teeth, no response. I am picky, beware. I have standards and they may be too high for most but I won't settle.
Also, how do you put that you're looking for the love of your life but you're also not looking to just jump into any relationship either? Yes, I'm looking to date casually but at the same time I'm also looking for long term... this makes it tricky when selecting the pre-set options on what you're looking for. There is no in between.
Ultimately, I am looking for the love of my life. The guy that will make me laugh uncontrollably, love me unconditionally, accept all my quirky traits, support me in all that I do, understand that bad days/moods do pass, someone that can make sitting on the couch more entertaining than a stand up comedy show... basically someone that will love and appreciate me for me and who is willing to believe in a 'once in a lifetime' love.
I have gone on a few dates over the last month with guys I've met online. All nice guys but none of them sparked a giant interest from me. And to me that is huge. I feel like when the 'right' one comes along, there will be no question. I'll know.
This weekend was the first time in two years that another guys smile and conversation made me giddy. Something so minor made me happy and gave me hope that this love of a lifetime might be out there after all :) I just need to either look harder or just stop searching and let him find me...some day.

No comments:
Post a Comment