Communication... for being such a simple word it sure can have a complex meaning.
For as long as I can remember my Mom has always said the key to a successful relationship is communication. Although I've never disagreed with her I also never really paid much attention to just how true that statement was. I am realizing more and more every day how important that life lesson actually is.
I'm noticing just how important communication is in every aspect of my life these days.
Work... without the proper communication my work world would be in shambles. Every last detail is needed for me to perform my job successfully. I am thankful I have the job that I do because I believe it's actually helped my listening skills. They've never been 'horrible' but I do know I have a tendency to have selective hearing.
The biggest impact communication has is on more personal relationships with family, friends and Joe. People are often amazed at how close I am with my parents. I talk to them once if not two or three times a day. I can't even remember the last time I went a whole day without speaking to them. Maybe it's out of the ordinary but I wouldn't have it any other way. Who would I call for advice or for when I'm wandering aimlessly through the grocery store looking for ingredients?! :)
Friendships... as mentioned in a previous blog, these seem to be changing by the day. Those "great" friends are the ones to where communication has been an important factor in maintaining the friendship through all the crazy changes life throws at us. There are some friends that I may talk to a few times a month and others a few times a day. Busy lives happen and some times it makes it hard to talk as often as you may like. I am lucky enough to say that communication generally hasn't been an issue in any friendships. Those friends that I may only talk to here or there are also the same ones to where when we do talk or see each other it's as if only a day has passed.
Joe... I think he may be the most important piece of this communication puzzle. As most of you know, I'm stubborn and like things my way, always. I don't generally see two sides, only mine, which I always presume to be the 'right' way. Well, this guy has gave me a bit of a reality check and made me realize that isn't really the case :) I enjoy hearing his side of things and the viewpoints he sees. Some of which I have even learned to adapt to over my own ways. Shocking, I know. The thing I love best about my relationship with him... our communication skills together. I'm quite amazed at how well we work together on things. If there is anything that has the potential to create a disagreement or possible blow up, we talk it out and share both our views... some how we always manage to talk our way through things without one of us ending up angry. 8 months together and maybe one disagreement that could have been an argument. Not too shabby! I like to think it's because of our communication skills together ;)
The point of this blog... maybe mothers do know best.
No comments:
Post a Comment